EAM System Implementation
Current Situation (Customer):
The Client initiated a global implementation of SAP to replace a multitude of disparate legacy systems to include their CMMS. Their implementation partner was not able to provide a suitable expert, one who understood both SAP and EAM work processes, in particular someone who had previously worked in manufacturing and used SAP to support maintenance and storeroom work processes.
Because this was a global implementation project, the customer and their implementation partner decided to develop a global solution and rollout that solution to each of their regions one at a time, localizing the solution as necessary, and beginning with Great Britain as their lead region.
Rizing was brought in to provide a resource with extensive technical and work process experience in the EAM space, in particular the areas of maintenance and storeroom operations. The implementation partner had decided to split maintenance and storeroom operations into two different towers so Rizing provided the Plant Maintenance lead consultant. The Client subsequently decided to incorporate storeroom operations, using Materials Management, into the same tower as Plant Maintenance. Rather than provide an additional consultant, our resource was experienced enough to support both areas and provide tighter integration between the two work processes.
Rizing’s resource was responsible for the development and configuration of the global solution for the customers’ maintenance and storeroom operations. This was within a larger implementation project where the resource also worked closely with FI/CO, Purchasing, Master Data, Inventory Management, and other touch point towers/resources within the project. The resource also provided training to the plant “super users” and support to the customers lead region as they successfully started up SAP.
Rizing deployed an experienced Plant Maintenance senior consultant with a solid understanding of Materials Management in support of storeroom operations. Work followed a standard SAP implementation methodology beginning with blueprinting and followed by realization (design, build, testing), final preparation, go-live, and post go-live support. In particular, Vesta provided assistance in developing their global solution and getting the customer’s first region up and running on SAP and transferring configuration and functional knowledge so that the resources could create the necessary master data, conduct training, and rollout SAP to their remaining regions, as well as be better prepared to continuously improve their solution over time.
The Rizing consultant was relied upon in the following areas:
- Development of a business blueprint defining work process design, master data definitions, roles/security, and reporting requirements.
- SAP system configuration, to include touch points with Finance/Controlling, Purchasing, Human Resources, and Inventory Management.
- Development and execution of test scenarios and plans.
- Development, preparation, and conduct of end user training.
- Cutover planning, execution, and post go-live support.
- Knowledge transfer to the core team.
- Maintenance and storeroom functionality was implemented on time as part of the overall project within the lead region with no significant maintenance or storeroom issues.
- The Client has a well trained, knowledgeable core team fully capable of supporting deployments to subsequent regions, as well as support of existing users and the continuous improvement of their system.
- Within just a few months of go-live the Client was able to identify opportunities to improve their maintenance and storeroom work process in measurable ways that, when addressed, will drive bottom line business benefit.