2020 Performance Review Season: 11 Tips for SAP SuccessFactors Customers
This year especially, we are digitally fatigued as we enter the performance review period. Yet, it has never been more important to take the time to acknowledge what went really well and to have open discussions about what we could do better. This is also a fresh starting point for each of us. Taking the time to develop a 2020 performance review plan that is meaningful and optimizes the resources you have at your disposal.
In this blog, I’ll focus on maximizing your 2020 performance review business process alongside SAP SuccessFactors technology to achieve long-term benefits and create a meaningful engagement between employee and manager.
1) Consider what tools you will be using for your Performance cycle.
The SAP SuccessFactors Performance and Goals software allows you to integrate performance management with your Goal and Development plans and Competency Libraries.
SAP SuccessFactors also offers the Continuous Performance Management (CPM) tool that encourages and enables ongoing dialogue between managers and employees. With this consistent communication, managers should have an easier time evaluating at the end of the year, and employees should see fewer surprises in year-end performance reviews. Achievements and Feedback functionality from CPM can be synced to your Goal Plans and Performance Forms as a reminder of those discussions that have been had throughout the year.
2.) Timelines. It is a good idea to set clear 2020 performance review timeframes around the launching of your Goal Plans, CPM, and Performance Forms. This will allow the process to stay on track and for those involved in supporting the process to be clear on deadlines and deliverables. Give yourself ample time to get all your requirements gathered from your stakeholders and set enough time aside to get all your templates created and tested.
3) Create next year’s goal plan. Many people will come out of the 2020 performance review cycle with ideas for goals. Give them a place to log those goals, so they don’t lose them. Create next year’s Goal Plan in SAP SuccessFactors and establish the permissions for employees to access this in SAP SuccessFactors. The goals can be edited later to align with leadership’s cascaded goals.
4) Communicate timing early and often. Knowing what your 2020 performance review timeline looks like keeps your HR team on track. It also helps employees plan the time they need to complete their steps in the process. Be mindful of the natural ebb and flow of your organization. Pick the best time for the majority of people to complete the review. You will never be able to satisfy everyone, so satisfying most is certainly an acceptable goal.
5) Review your rating scale and make any adjustments to the wording or number of rating options. While it seems like an easy task to go in and make rating scale changes for the 2020 performance review process in SAP SuccessFactors, the change management it takes to get your employee and management population to use the new rating scale effectively can be monumental. It often takes several communications, examples, and training programs to really get a new rating scale put into place and widely used consistently.
6) Review your competency structure and update any competency names, descriptions, and writing assistant text. Creating a competency model for your company is a lofty task. Typically, once you have established a competency model, there is not much work that needs to be done year after year. The piece you can continue to enhance in SAP SuccessFactors is the competency writing assistant text. Talk to your employees about the writing assistant and for which competencies it is most needed. Start there when making updates and improvements.
7) Review your route maps in SAP SuccessFactors. The route map concept in SAP SuccessFactors is the path a review takes from the moment the form is created until it is complete. Were there any bottlenecks in the performance review process last year that you want to avoid this year? Does any text need to be tweaked? If you supply “step due” dates for each part of the process, have you updated those review dates for the upcoming year’s timeline?
8) Review your user data to ensure the manager and human resource representatives are correct for each employee and people who are no longer with the company have been inactivated. Most of the SAP SuccessFactors Performance and Goals software relies heavily on these two relationships to function accurately for most of the process. Having your managers and your HR team complete a quick spot check of their reporting relationships before the form launches is critical to avoiding rework.
9) Review job-specific competency mappings. As prep work for the 2020 performance review season, you need to ensure that any new job titles added throughout the year are created in the families and roles structure within SAP SuccessFactors, that these have a job code attached, and that they have competencies associated. Also, you need to ensure that all employees do, in fact, have the appropriate job code tied to their record. Reviewing and updating this information before you launch your annual performance review will ensure that employees do not receive a review where the competency section is blank.
10) Review the layout and design of the 2020 performance review form. This item is the one you really want to do some careful thinking and planning around. Making changes to a form in SuccessFactors can happen in a few different ways. If they are comfortable, customers can make some changes themselves by contacting SAP SuccessFactors support, or a partner like Rizing, to assist with the changes. Detailing out what is necessary, making the changes, and testing the changes can take a good bit of time to get correct and working smoothly. Please be sure you leave enough time to vet out all the changes before it is too late and you want to launch the form the next day!
11) Just before the form launch, review the form template to ensure all pieces are accurately connected. In Form Template Settings, ensure that the form title is correct, the correct route map is associated with the form, the 2020 performance review start, end, and due dates are correct. All the appropriate switches for your process have been enabled. In Manage Templates, review the form title to ensure it matches what is used in Form template settings, review the correct rating scale is being used, and that the appropriate goal plan and development goal plan are attached to the form where applicable. Thoroughly test the form to ensure it is behaving as expected in each step of the route map for all roles involved.
Alleviate Stress with a 2020 Performance Review Plan
While this list is not meant to be all-inclusive, for most companies it is an excellent starting point to get them thinking about their own performance review process and what they need to coordinate and complete to have a successful 2020 performance review cycle. Having a plan for each part of this process will eliminate some of the stress associated with the review process during an already busy time frame and allow employees and managers to be focused on the most important part: the coaching conversations.
You can stay up to date with the latest updates in SAP SuccessFactors Performance and Goals by checking out our H2 2020 Release Analysis. You can also catch our LinkedIn Live session on the latest H2 2020 updates in both the Performance and Goals and Succession and Development modules.